Saturday 10 December 2011

Christmas on the Rhine

Well we have just had a magical few days on the River Rhine cruising along from Dusseldorf to Cologne and then onto Koblenz.  It was a wonderful expereince, the Gluhwein was out of this world, Bratwert Sausages, and some really unusual Potatoe Cakes, and Crepes - we had a fabulous time looking around the markets and the things to buy were so different and lovely.


Whilst in Cologne we had to go into the Cathedral which was magical so enormous and beautiful. I have a thing about floors so I took loads of photos of the tiled floors in the different chapels - a really great experience.

We have all started to feel Christmassy now as the markets put us well into the festive spirit.  The Cruise was lovely and the scenery down the Rhine itself was so varied it ran from dead flat, to fairly rocky and very hilly - the vineyards on the side of the river were unbelievable how they manage to work them I do not know as they were virtually vertical in places.

I am having difficulty uploading photos so I have done this part of the blog and will save and then try to do some more.  But if I fail will do some another day.!  Whoops like there are now two pictures of the same wonderful floor - but hey ho if I try to delete one there is a very major chance I shall delete the whole blog!!

So now I am back and have to make a concerted effort to get ready for Christmas, I have some projects half made so I must finish them as soon as possible.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip. I'm feeling very envious! As a patchworker/quilter I can see why those floors would be fascinating... can't you just imagine them as quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so very pretty Pam, no wonder you had such a lovley time. I always fancied a river cruise but haven't got round to it yet. Maybe one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a great time and enjoyed all the food and drink. The decorations look lovely, particularly the trees. It's nice to have you back though.

    ReplyDelete